Total Pageviews

Friday 12 August 2011

Tan Kin Lian - Voice of the People (Aku: REALLY??!!)

Click here for the blog:
http://singstatistician.blogspot.com/
Make sure YOU watch the two video clips below!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SATURDAY, 27 AUGUST 2011

Tan Kin Lian - Voice of the People (Aku: REALLY??!!)

For this Presidential Election, I am supporting Mr Tan Kin Lian. The following is a message he has circulated. I think this message resonates with many Singaporeans. I am making this posting as a sticky until after the Presidential elections. The graphic is one of several visuals that Mr Tan is thinking of using for his campaign..


My name is Tan Kin Lian. I am standing for election as President of Singapore.

Many people have told me that they want a President who can:

  • Be a voice of the people
  • Be independent of the PAP Government
  • Safeguard their CPF money and the national reserves

If you give me your support and I get elected, I promise you that I will carry out these tasks diligently.

I come from a humble family background. When I was a child, I lived in a rented room and had to move residence a few times. Later, I lived in a HDB flat for 7 years. Today, I live in a ordinary house and like many Singaporeans, I have a car but often travel by bus and MRT. 

I understand the struggle of many people who find it difficult to earn enough to meet the cost of living, have to travel in crowded public transport daily and have to face the competition for jobs. I am close to the ordinary people in Singapore and can be your voice to carry your views to the Government.

I have never been a MP or minister in the PAP Government. As President, I will be able to think and act independently of the Government and take a different perspective in looking after the interest of the people of Singapore. I will work in cooperation with the Government to find solutions that are best for the people. 

In my decisions, I will be guided by my personal values of honesty, fairness, positive attitude, courage and public service and by the views of the people (which I will actively seek).

I am qualified and have the financial knowledge to safeguard your CPF money and the national reserves. I had nurtured an insurance company for 30 years, looking after the savings of over 1 million people and managing assets of $17 billion. 

I understand the need to be prudent in our investments, to avoid speculation and to invest for the long term. I can bring this knowledge to the duty of the President in safeguarding the reserves.

I wish to run for President as a public duty. I do not wish to receive a large salary as President and will be willing to donate at least 50% of the salary to charity and other worthy causes.

I hope that you will give me your support and will encourage your friends, colleagues, neighbors to support me. Please help me in spreading this message to them.

Tan Kin Lian
Candidate for President of Singapore

MONDAY, 8 AUGUST 2011


Minister Shanmugan forced eat his words

Sometimes you have to really wonder about our highly paid PAP Ministers ...

I was trying to help Tony Tan. Please stop saying I shot him
instead.

Last Friday at a seminar organized by IPS, Minister Shanmugam tried to intimidate some of the candidates running for President. He made the following speech:

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20110806-293038.html

According to Minister Shanmugam,

  1. The President can only speak and act as advised by the PAP Cabinet
  2. The influence and respect of the President depends on whether he is PAP endorsed or not PAP endorsed. Hence if it is Dr Tony Tan, the President would have great influence and respect from PM Lee. If it is Dr Tan Cheng Bock,  Mr Tan Kin Lian or Mr Tan Jee Say,  the President would have little or no influence and respect from  PM Lee.

These astonishing remarks come from someone who is supposed to be Minister of Law for Singapore !

The remarks naturally provoked a firestorm in cyberspace. So much so that Minister Shanmugan was forced to issue a “clarification”. If you watch local politics, you will know what this really means is that over the weekend,  Minister Shanmugan was probably

  1. Hauled up for what he had said;
  2. Scolded by one of three people in Singapore who dare scold him; and
  3. Forced to make an embarrassing u-turn to limit the damage
Minister Shanmugam's new view is that:

  1. The President may speak his views freely in public
  2. PM Lee will accord whoever is elected by Singaporeans as President the same level of influence and respect.

You can watch the live footage of Minister Shanmugam eating humble pie here. Of note is 0:41 when his voice breaks and he becomes nervous and uncomfortable. In his mind, he was probably reliving the tongue lashing.




Unless you are a supporter of Dr Tony Tan and the PAP, this is a victory. A small victory but victory nevertheless.




FRIDAY, 5 AUGUST 2011


MUST SEE Youtube of Dr Tan Cheng Bock's UNHAPPY and UNFAIR NS experience

Over the past two weeks, there has been mounting evidence emerging that Dr Tony Tan’s son received “special” treatment during National Service (NS).


Keeping quiet and refusing to answer questions
about his son's NS

Dr Tan Cheng Bock has come forward to reveal his own unhappy and unfair NS experience in the following Youtube.



My reaction after watching the Youtube was one of shock and humility. The shock part was because SAF’s treatment of Dr Tan Cheng Bock wasCOMPLETELY AND TOTALLY UNFAIR. Some key points from his Youtube:


  1. Dr Tan Cheng Bock was part of a group of 12 doctors who were selected for NS.
  2. At the time of enlistment, he was significantly past the normal age of enlistment.
  3. SAF refused to reveal how Dr Tan Cheng Bock and the other doctors were selected.
  4. The others in his cohort who were not enlisted were allowed to proceed with their careers and studies without any encumbrance
  5. Dr Tan Cheng Bock was given the option to end his enlistment. He was however threatened that he would be BLACKLISTED if he exercised the option.
  6. Dr Tan Cheng Bock exercised his option and was BLACKLISTEDfrom joining the Singapore Government as a doctor.

The humility part was because  Dr Tan Cheng Bock's COURAGE. Dr Tan Cheng Bock could have played the “safe” game and kept silent. Instead he chose to speak up in light of the growing debate over Dr Patrick Tan’s “special” 12 year disruption.

In making this Youtube, Dr Tan Cheng Bock is indicating clearly that he will not shy away from discussing such “sensitive” topics during the Presidential campaign. It is courage in the purest form that Dr Tan Cheng Bock is prepared to speak before his COE to run has been issued.

In a short posting after putting up the Youtube on his Facebook, Dr Tan Cheng Bock wrote

The President must have strength of conviction to be able to tell that something is wrong,without fear or favour. 

This is incredibly well said. Dr Tan Cheng Bock is truly PAP from the old days when being PAP meant standing tall and walking proud. This is unlike the PAP of today.


A true PAP from the time when being PAP meant
standing tall and walking proud

No comments:

Post a Comment